The Department of Defence has partnered with the Digital Profession to provide an exciting career development opportunity - the Australian Defence Force Cyber Gap Program.
Applications are now open and will close 11:59PM AEDST Sunday 31 October 2021.
The Australian Defence Force Cyber Gap Program is a 12-month online program that is undertaken in conjunction with tertiary study and is designed to enhance your skills and employability in the cyber security field. If you are already studying or looking to enrol in a cyber-related qualification, the Australian Defence Force (ADF) can offer you generous financial support, along with two cyber exposure experiences to give valuable insight into how you can help protect Australia’s online systems and information.
Our program's point of difference
Committing to a period of Defence service is a big deal, we get that. What's flexible about this program is that there is no obligation to serve. Whilst you study, you can immerse yourself in short work exposure experience with Defence.
This will provide you with the knowledge to consider whether a Defence career is something you’d like to pursue when you finish your studies.
It works both ways - while there is no guarantee of employment with the ADF or a Government agency upon the completion of your studies (though you are certainly encouraged to apply), you can also choose to find work elsewhere in the cyber security industry if you find it’s not your thing. It’s flexible.
During this 12-month program you will receive:
- generous financial support with course fees reimbursement up to $15,000, textbooks and stationery costs payment of $600 as well as an academic allowance to assist with ICT costs which will be paid in two $1,250 payments in March and September (one each semester for a total of $2,500)
- two cyber-exposure experiences for you to gain insight into a cyber security career, which includes online development opportunities
- professional membership to the Australian Computer Society
- networking opportunities with a range of Defence cyber subject matter experts, as well as peer networking with participants of various government digital programs
- cyber security career mentoring sessions
- ADF Cyber Gap Program Completion Certificate from the Joint Cyber Directorate
- information for preparing professional cyber job applications
*Note: Graduate Diploma and Associate Degree, Bachelor and Master's degree courses are subsidised up to a capped amount as offered to successful applicants. Costs will be covered for the 12-month period of the program only.
Eligibility for our program
The Australian Defence Force Cyber Gap Program is for Australian citizens, who are living in Australia and are already studying or currently enrolling in a cyber-related qualification. The Australian Defence Force Cyber Gap Program runs for 12 months and to be eligible, you need to be studying for the duration of the 12-month program. You can be working towards any eligible qualification at the following levels either part or full-time:
- Certificate III
- Certificate IV
- Advanced Diploma
- Associate Degree
- Bachelor’s degree
- Graduate Certificate
- Graduate Diploma
- Master’s Degree.
If you are currently studying or plan on studying one of the listed qualifications and meet the citizenship eligibility criteria, you should consider applying.
We are looking for people who are passionate about cyber security and enthusiastic about turning their skills into a career supporting the Australian Defence Force.
More opportunities for you
All Australians have a role to play in protecting the nation against cyber threats.
The Australian Defence Force Cyber Gap Program may expose participants to careers in the following areas:
- threat emulation
- cyberspace operations planning
- discovery and counter-infiltration
- incident response
- network vulnerability assessment
- protecting and hardening networks
- data collection and analysis
- network recovery
- incident mitigation strategy development.
Mentoring and planning
Throughout your studies, you will have the chance to meet with program mentors to discuss work opportunities within the ADF and other Government agencies. This mentoring is vital in helping you decide what path your career will take - even if it does not end up in the public sector.
Applying for our program
You will require these documents:
- proof of Australian Citizenship (Australian birth certificate, Australian passport or Australian Certificate of Citizenship)
- a copy of your university or vocational education transcript and/or proof of current enrolment
- a current resume or CV
- passport size photo
Stages of selection process
- Submit your written application online. You will be contacted if your application is successful, and you will be notified if you are unsuccessful.
You may be required to attend:
- an online interview to discuss your cyber interests and
- a final online selection board session to establish if the Program is a good fit for you.
Please note you may be assessed solely on your application and resume. An interview may not be required.
Get in touch
If you have any questions about the Australian Defence Force Cyber Gap Program you can email email@example.com. For further information regarding cyber careers with the Australian Defence Force please visit www.defencejobs.gov.au.